Friday, September 24, 2010

#44, #45, #46 - Rogue's Roost Microbrews

A friend and I recently frequented Rogue's Roost Microbrewery and Pub right on Spring Garden Road in beautiful downtown Halifax. I had never been but had heard many talk of their famous Raspberry Wheat Ale. So we had a couple appetizers and a I had a chance to try 3 of their brews.

First off I was anxious to try the Raspberry Wheat Ale. As a typical wheat ale is, it was very cloudy and golden but this time with a hint of pink. The aroma was distinctly of raspberries with some modest soft notes I couldn't quite pick out. The taste was as you'd expect; Raspberry but also very smooth and crisp, light and not really too sweet nor bitter. With that being said it wasn't exactly what I normally drink as far as a beer is concerned. the fruitiness kind of throws me off a bit but I can definitely see how someone who normally does not drink beer could enjoy this. I must give it some props on originality. 3.5 out of 5.


Next up I really wanted to try my favorite style of all beers; India Pale Ale. This beer came out with a nice dark copper color to it with a nice slightly tinted white head on it. The aroma was of citrus as most of Rogue's brews are with a bit of caramel-esque notes. The taste was definitely bitter, like i like it, hoppy and was completed by the slight hint of citrus. As most craft IPA's this one was also a higher ABV% although I'm not sure exactly what the number was. Overall very well balanced beer and would order again! 4 out of 5


To round it all off I wanted to try their Red Ale. This one came out cloudy and a red amber color similar to the IPA. Following tradition this one also had a slightly citrus aroma to it but not as strong as the other last 2. The taste was not what I was expecting, came up a bit short. It had a taste of cereal and grainy malt, a little bitter sweet with a touch of honey. Not my favorite but still better then a lot of beer out there. 3 out of 5

1 comment:

  1. Red ale is crap. The IPA is definitely good. Service at the Roost is pretty good too. My buddies play there sometimes. Anyhoo, good stuff.

    ReplyDelete