Monday, October 25, 2010

#65 Rogue's XS Imperial India Pale Ale (Oregon, USA)

I made my first trip out to Premier Wine and Spirits on a fine Friday evening after work to take a look at their wide variety of beer and boy to they have a nice selection! I was like a kid in a candy store, I just couldn't decide what I wanted. I picked up one that was previously requested as well as another from a brewer I had heard a lot (more to come on those another time) but then I set eyes on exactly what I was looking for... Rogue's XS Imperial India Pale Ale. $20.02 for a 750ml Ceramic bottle @ 9.5% ABV this beer is no joke. A highly rated beer already, winning 2007 Beer world championship as world champ, I knew I was in for a treat.

It poured a fairly thick, cloudy orange color with a large white head that retained for a quite a long time and thick lace. The aroma was very hoppy and extremely citricy landing somewhere between peaches and oranges with light smell of alcohol in the background. The taste was like nothing ive ever had before; instantly I was hit with a punch of hoppy bitterness for just a split second which quickly turned into a nice smooth almost fruit juice-like peachy sweet taste and finished off with a ever so elegant alcoholic aftertaste like that of a vodka. Now I can't say that I usually like a vodka like taste in my beer but this seemed to fit, leaving your mouth wanting another smooth refreshing journey. The texture was fairly creamy with moderately heavy body. This beer is not for the faint of heart; its on the extreme side of beers so if you're looking to try this out, be prepared. Overall I give it 4.5 out of 5!

More Fun Facts:

Tasting Notes:
Above and beyond an India Pale Ale—I2PA is radically hopped with an intense aroma and hop bitterness.

6 Ingredients:
Malts: Two-row Pipkin Pale.
Hops: Saaz, Cascade & Northwest Golding.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

74 IBU

2 comments:

  1. You really have a way with words...just from your description I want to try this beer...and you know I'm not a beer drinker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks =) Be careful if you give this one a try though. Its very strong!

    ReplyDelete